Tuesday, April 03, 2012

New Journey in 2012

2012 has been a whirlwind of new experiences and I can't wait to see what the rest of the year brings! We have been on the slow long process of building our bike. It will make it to the completion zone at some point. In the meantime a few (on the larger side) bills have been hanging over our heads. We should be ready to take the leap with that project as we near the end of the year or early 2013!! In the meantime, we were given a rare opportunity. Our amazing friends, The Harmons, gave us their blessing to run their Jr. Comp car for the season. So exciting!! We began ordering all my gear before we even had the car, I just couldn't wait. I ordered my fire suit (pants and jacket), harness, arm restraints, and gloves. I needed to re-order my pants, harness, and gloves because they were either too big or didn't work in the car. We eventually got everything we needed and then we waited on the weather. Wow that's frustrating!! We finally got our chance on Saturday April 1, we got the chance to make our Jr. Comp debut. It was licensing day and we were running 1/8 mile! My first time in the car (which was literally the first time I had ever raced a car down the race track) was so much fun! Ironically, my first time in the car I really wasn't nervous. I think I was more anxious than anything. We talked about our routine and what I needed to do off the line to start with. I just put the pedal to the floor and away I went. My first pass produced a 6.39 @ 109.19 in the 1/8th. Which equates out to approx. 9.97 in the 1/4. My next time out, Jason said I could leave on the low rev, so I would get to feel what it does off the line. That pass produced a 6.11 @ 114.65 which equates to a 9.54 in the 1/4. Talk about fun!! Now its important to remember I'm suppose to be licensing, Jason said I was going a bit quick for that. Oops!! We made four passes in total and the next two were nothing to write home about. My third pass just didn't feel good to me, she felt wiggly and weird, so I got out of it. Jason adjusted the shift light and off we went again. I was thinking of so many different things, I literally sat at the light and watched it turn green. Who does that?? Seriously, how dumb. Anyway, upon taking off we ran another 6.114 @ 111.97. Jason said she was starting to go through the clutch so we called it a day. At the end, I won't lie I was disappointed in myself. Especially for my (at best) meager performance the last two passes, but Jason reminds me I started out going quicker than I was suppose to! It's so different to drive a car, especially one that you practically lay down in to race. But it is so much fun to learn something new.







I can't wait to get back in the car!! Stay tuned!!!

No comments: