Monday, September 17, 2007

Eluded again...

ADDICT: n. One who is addicted
ADDICTED: adj. Doing or using something as a habit or compulsively

Ok so we have defined the two… I’m fairly certain that mine, along with many of my friends and now my daughter faces appears next to these definitions in the dictionary. Because when it comes to drag racing there is NO OTHER option. I always say drag racing is black or white; you either LOVE it or you HATE it! Although, I really don’t know how anyone couldn’t love it but again, I think that falls under the broad definition of addict.

With that said, the weekend doesn’t get any better when you get to race and your daughter gets to race too! I posted her results and the evenings character previously, make sure you take a peek at Victory...so SWEET!

So it’s been awhile since the last time I ran, seriously feels like forever. In reality I think it’s been a tad over 4 weeks… YIKES, that’s too long – I’m going through withdrawals! So as usual I leave work, go grab the kid and my gear and we head to the track. We get there and there are a few street bikes playin’ along with a few dragbikes. Mark Topalinski (sorry if I killed your last name Mark) and another guy (so sorry, I always forget his name). Very nice guy and his wife is such a sweetheart! We get ready to run and go over a few details (bike set-up and minor changes)…

8-17-07 recap – best pass was a 9.27 @ 149.1 mph.

First pass, get up to do my burnout… can’t seem to find second, neutral, or first gear. Eventually I get it, line up and GO…

9.14 @ 149.3 mph with a .520 reaction and 1.56 60’ time

Next pass…the launch throws me off balance and the whole run feels like a dance to keep it in the groove. I drifted toward the cones then towards the guard rail till finally I get her going straight and dam its over… WOW, a low 9 second pass sure goes by quicker then a high 9 or low 10 second pass. Even with all the dancing we still ran…

9.11 @ 149.3 mph with a .355 reaction and 1.46 60’ time

This next pass marks the first time I’ve raced with someone in the opposite lane. Thank you, Brandon! I firmly believe having a competitor naturally pushes you to do better and this was no exception!

9.00 @ 149.5 mph with a .274 reaction and a 1.45 60’ time

Now, let me start by saying I thought for sure this was the 8 second pass that I’ve been craving for so long… But alas it was not. However, you don’t get much closer to an 8 then to run a 9 flat. At this point, I think I just over-amp’d myself and somehow wedged my head up my a$$. My next pass was straight out of the twilight zone, as if I just couldn’t get it together…stupid, stupid, stupid.

16.36 @ 105 mph with a .346 reaction and a 1.42 60’ time

Ultimately, it didn’t feel good when I got out there and I got out of it, which yes was the right thing to do but definitely threw my momentum off. I questioned…was it me or was it the bike? The bike died at the end of the track, but was that my fault, did I get out of the throttle too much??? Well clearly based off the reaction time and 60’ time (which was my best so far BTW) it was NOT the bike… 100% rider error! I let the fact that I wanted that 8 second pass so bad get in my head and it ultimately back fired. The irony in this was that Eddy was trying to teach me a lesson, but again “head up a$$” so hard to hear way up there… :) He asked if I wanted to go ahead of the Jr’s that were running, to which I replied “nah, I’m in no hurry”… now I have a better understanding of WHY he wanted me to go ahead of them. Sorry Eddy

So the next and final pass (we were concerned about the track going away at this point, it was getting cooler and there were no big tire cars running anymore)…but we said “one more”…

9.39 @ 148.1 mph with a .256 reaction and a 1.66 60’ time

So we rebounded a bit but the track was just not able to support us. Its all good, as usual, I learned a lot and had a blast! My daughter got a couple of pictures (from my phone, despite having the camera with us)… Enjoy! Feel free to leave me any comments, I love to hear the feedback!


As I close out, please come out and join us on Saturday, September 22 at Sacramento Raceway for the 39th Annual Govenor’s Cup! Pit Adm. $25. General Adm. $20. All kids under 12 Admitted FREE. Racing 10am-10pm.

It is the final race of the season for Nor Cal Dragbike Association and we’d like to see as many fans out as possible! Come out & enjoy the weather, a great event and some kick-a$$ racing! For event details check out
www.sacramentoraceway.com. If you want more info on Nor Cal Dragbike Association, visit http://myspace.com/norcaldragbikes. Hope to see you there!

No comments: